Saturday, December 19, 2009

Now That I'm Snowed In Perhaps I Should Blog


Violet dressed herself!

Hello wonderful bloggers! It has been awhile.

The stress of raising a demon-spawn willful toddler while also trying to excel in my first semester back at school was more difficult than I imagined. My ulcer paid off and I have A's in every class! I go back on January 11th- which also happens to be my birthday, but I don't want to talk about that.

The East Coast is in the middle of a snow storm, in case you haven't heard. I am just hoping that we don't lose electricity this year. Last year we had to trek out in the slush and stay at a ratty hotel which price-gouged beyond belief. I vow that this coming year I am going to secure a backup heat source for such times. (Hey, didn't I vow that last year, too?)

It makes winter way too stressful worrying what to do if you lose electricity. Power has been flickering all day but I am sitting here hoping it will stay on. (Everyone out there, clap your hands if you want my power to stay on! Wish hard!) I need one of those kooky but lovable chimney sweeps you see in old movies. We have a fireplace. It just needs cleaned out. By a professional! I wouldn't know what to do when the raccoon skeletons and who-knows-what caught fire and fell through. You know there is something in there. This is an old house.

Here's what we have so far, and it's still snowing.

After all the history books I read for school I am trying to spend my break reading books that are a little less depressing. At least not a single one deals with the Cold War or genocide, I can tell you that. I finished reading Mary Karr's The Liars' Club last night. If you haven't read it yet you should. I know it's been out quite awhile (since '95 I think) and I have wanted to read it for a long time. It is better than I expected. I love memoirs.

What else do I need to catch you up on? Violet is getting big and rather sassy-mouthed at times. She has taken over my laptop. She wants to watch alphabet videos on Youtube all the time. She wakes up singing the ABC song. I just told her to go pick her room up and she said no. I asked her "Who is going to clean your room then?" to which she responded, "Some guy." Yeah, so that is what I am dealing with.

I hope you are all having a nice time wherever you are. I have chosen some holiday gifts from around the Web for your enjoyment. I think there is something for everyone here. (If not I have gift receipts!) Enjoy!


This cool Kewpie ornanment from ebay.

I found this Carmen Miranda decal for MacBook on etsy. I think it is awesome.

Cool felted knit bunny from etsy.com.

'Dead Characters' painting, by Mark Ryden.




5 comments:

Sultan said...

Nice job in school. You should be proud of your achievement so far.

When I was in Law School I did not have time to do outside reading so it was a real treat when I could guide my own reading during the vacation periods.

I hope you and yours will have a wonderful holiday.

Farnnay said...

you got me a macbook! how sweet of you.

and im sorry but i like violet's response to whos going to clean ur room. :)

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

Your daughter is getting big.
I remember that storm. Wasn't it an ice storm? You guys got ripped off by the Motel 6 or something.
It is foggy here and I just went out to try to get some pictures, but the fog was already lifting...sigh. Maybe later.
Keep warm.

Sidd said...

SO glad to see you blogging again. I've missed you! That bunny on a swing it extraordinary. So is Violet. My goodness, she is growing up so fast. Happy Solstice.

Maggie May said...

that is awesome- A's!!!!

Post a Comment