Saturday, April 7, 2007

Noise control, please!

Hello. I have just returned from a nerve-jangling trip from the dreaded mall. I deperately needed to get my hair trimmed, as it was looking somewhat mullet-y and thought I'd take my chances with one of those hair places. (I live dangerously!) Besides I am about to give birth any day now and thought walking would perhaps meloriate the odds of that being sooner than later. (No such luck!) It did however make my hips and lower back feel like they were in a vise. I did pick up a couple of books while I was out. One aptly enough sums up my mall experience: Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World by Sharon Heller, Ph.D. It is about a condition that affects about 15% of people in which their senses are overloaded by stimuli that most people can easily block out (or may not even be aware of.) I have read on this subject before and hope this book has some good advice. My fiance has a tendency to be very restless- shaking his leg, pacing, etc- which all grate against my raw overly-fragile nerves sometimes. I am hoping he'll read the book and have a better understanding, maybe even realize I am not a (complete) control freak or total bitch, but that sometimes those actions and constant noise and movement are just too much for me to deal with. The other book is Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, which of all the Neil Gaiman I read I somehow skipped this one. I have Fragile Things to start up next as well. I bought that for Jeremy but he hasn't started it yet. I am enjoying getting to READ while I am on bedrest, awaiting maternity leave! That is definitely the biggest perk. Well... outside of getting to prop my feet up so they don't swell up like water balloons. I have only been off work for about a week. I thought I'd be a champ, but really- who wants their water to break at their desk at work? Not I!
Well, catch you kids later!

0 comments:

Post a Comment